Xbox upheaval news: Rumors, changes, and cancelled games in 2026
🟩 Xbox, Multi-platformNews
#News#xbox

Xbox upheaval news: Rumors, changes, and cancelled games in 2026

Polygon RSS FeedJen Glennon5 min read(about 2 months ago)

Overview & Key Takeaways

Xbox CEO Asha Sharma has implemented many changes over the past month. Here's every rumor, change, and game cancellation in our running news roundup.

The last several months have been a roller coaster for Xbox. Microsoft's gaming division saw a major leadership turnover back in February, with CEO Phil Spencer abruptly leaving the company along with his heir apparent Sarah Bond. Incoming CEO Asha Sharma and chief content officer Matt Booty moved quickly to reestablish trust in the flagging brand. They ditched the unpopular and confusing "This is an Xbox" advertising campaign. They cut prices on Xbox Game Pass after a 50% price hike sparked an exodus from the service. They reaffirmed that new high-end hardware was in the works, in the form of Project Helix. They boldly declared that their organization would no longer be called "Microsoft Gaming" (nerdish, uncool) and instead adopt an all-caps XBOX (shouty, uncool in a different way). Xbox hosted a barnstorming summer showcase on June 7, and gave away hundreds of translucent green Series X consoles to fans who attended live.

It seemed like everything was going great! And then the wheels promptly fell off the wagon. Just three days after the showcase, on June 10, Bloomberg reported that Sharma had planned a massive slate of layoffs that would begin in July. Sharma and Booty essentially confirmed these reports in a post on Xbox Wire that outlined plans for an "Xbox reset" over the coming 100 days, citing lousy revenue, increasing hardware costs, and excessive expansion during the pandemic years.

It may take weeks or even months until we get an exact picture of all the changes taking place at Xbox, but here's what we know at present. The stories below are presented in reverse chronological order, so the newest developments will appear at the top.

Bond developer caught in the crossfire

On June 30, IO Interactive cryptically announced on X that a "relationship with an external partner on our own IP, Project Fantasy, has come to an end." It was soon confirmed that Xbox was the external partner pulling out of the deal. IO will continue developing Project Fantasy, but said it will have to make "staffing decisions" in response to the funding change, which doesn't sound great.

Blade gets screwed over again

Blade facing away from the camera, unsheathing a katana on his back. Image: Arkane Studios/Microsoft

Marvel's beloved vampire badass just can't catch a break lately. On June 30, The Verge reported that Microsoft is considering shutting down Arkane Studios, best known for the Dishonored series, Deathloop, and Prey (2017). That would also mean the end of Arkane’s upcoming game based on the comic book icon. Marvel’s Blade was originally supposed to debut later this year, but its internal ship date has allegedly slipped to late 2027.

State of Decay maker Undead Labs under threat

On July 29, GamesBeat reported that Undead Labs, alongside the three previously named studios — Compulsion Games, Double Fine, and Ninja Theory — was at risk of closure. Undead Labs is currently working on State of Decay 3, which was featured in Xbox's June 7 showcase and slated to release sometime in 2027.

Third-party developers claim their Xbox deals are on hold

On June 29, a variety of reports claimed that Xbox was planning further adjustments to Game Pass. According to Fernando Rizo, a consultant who advises self-publishing indie studios, Xbox has suspended discussions with third-party studios to sign deals to put their games on Game Pass. Rizo recently said on The Business of Video Games podcast that he'd spoken to a number of developers negotiating with Xbox who "got the rug pulled out from under them." Rizo's impression is that the deals were "on pause" rather than canceled, as Xbox seeks to reassess its Game Pass operation.

No more freebies, Call of Duty fans

A soldier in Modern Warfare 4 looking behind him while holding an assault rifle with a blazing building burns in the background. Image: Infinity Ward/Activision

On June 29, Call of Duty fan site CharlieIntel reported that Activision and Xbox were currently running ads for the upcoming sequel Modern Warfare 4 that prominently featured text proclaiming the game is "not on Xbox Game Pass this year." (Naturally, it was written in all-caps.) Sharma had removed new entries in the military shooter series from Game Pass as part of the April price changes, but I suppose Xbox wants to be as clear about this change as possible so you won't yell at them on the internet.

Prestige studios rumored to be on the chopping block

A few days after the initial Bloomberg report, on June 15, we started to get a clearer sense of which studios Xbox top brass was considering shutting down. These included:

  • Compulsion Games, the makers of Peabody Award-winning South of Midnight
  • Double Fine, the makers of the Psychonauts games, Keeper, and Kiln
  • Ninja Theory, the makers of the Hellblade series. (The studio had just debuted a trailer for its new game, Senua, during the June 7 Xbox showcase.)

Sharma fast-tracks major franchises

Shortly after news of upcoming layoffs broke, reports surfaced that Sharma planned to prioritize releasing new installments of major Xbox franchises, including Bethesda's Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. The studio announced The Elder Scrolls 6 all the way back in 2018, back when it was still independent and E3 was still a thing, and hasn't shared any footage of the game in the eight years since. Meanwhile, despite the popularity of Amazon's adaptation of Fallout since it debuted in 2024, the studio still hasn't announced a new game in the series. Expect that to change in the months ahead.

A photo of Xbox EVP and Microsoft Gaming CEO Asha Sharma Related

Microsoft isn't giving up on Xbox as a console — even if others have

Share:

More in Xbox, Multi-platform

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 Beta Trailer Shows Off Franchise’s Most Ambitious Map Yet🎮 PlayStation, Xbox, Multi-platform

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 Beta Trailer Shows Off Franchise’s Most Ambitious Map Yet

Activision has released a teaser trailer for the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 first beta weekend(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-4-beta-dates-revealed-heres-how-to-get-in/), and it looks pretty great. The trailer shows off some of the content in the beta, and that includes, for the first time in the franchise's history, a slice of the game's single-player campaign. The first beta runs April 21-25, and it's available for those who preorder the game on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. The beta allows players to try the campaign mission, Entrenched, along with the modular map Kill Block(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/see-cod-modern-warfare-4s-constantly-changing-kill-block-map-in-action/) (among others). Kill Block, the most ambitious Call of Duty multiplayer map ever(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/see-cod-modern-warfare-4s-constantly-changing-kill-block-map-in-action/), mashes up several fan-favorite Call of Duty maps in a unique way that should keep players on their toes. Modern Warfare 4’s Kill Block is set at the fictional West Bridge Advanced Military Training Facility, where modular battlegrounds reconfigure before every match, creating hundreds of potential map combinations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQoDkezJ0Y MW4 is coming to Nintendo Switch 2, but the first beta weekend won't be available on that platform because preorders don't begin until August 26 on Nintendo's console, for reasons Activision has not disclosed. The MW4 beta will open to everyone August 28-31, with no preorder requirement. This second period includes the same single-player campaign mission, along with different multiplayer maps, access to the big Ground War mode, and a first opportunity to try Warzone's new Resurgence Zodiac map. MW4 launches on October 23, which is about a month before GTA 6 arrives on November 19. The game is coming to PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and Switch 2. It's the first Call of Duty game on a Nintendo platform since 2013's Call of Duty: Ghosts. It's also the first Call of Duty game since Ghosts to skip PS4 and Xbox One. MW4 is also notable because, unlike Black Ops 7 and Black Ops 6 before it, the game will not launch directly into Xbox Game Pass as part of Microsoft's shifting multiplatform release strategy.

🎮 Call of Duty🎮 Modern Warfare
GameSpotNewsabout 18 hours ago
2024’s Greatest Roguelike Is a Must-Play on Xbox Game Pass🟩 Xbox, Multi-platform

2024’s Greatest Roguelike Is a Must-Play on Xbox Game Pass

Balatro may look like a simple riff on poker, but beneath its simple pixel-art surface lies an engine for boundless experimentation.

🎮 s Greatest Roguelike
PolygonNewsabout 19 hours ago
Mistfall Hunter Players Are Begging For This One Addition, And The Devs Just Won’t Do It🎮 PlayStation, Xbox, Multi-platform

Mistfall Hunter Players Are Begging For This One Addition, And The Devs Just Won’t Do It

Mistfall Hunter(https://www.gamespot.com/games/mistfall-hunter/) has been out for almost three weeks now, with the extraction brawler launching on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S on July 29. Dating back to even its open beta, the community has been begging developer Bellring Games for one addition: a dedicated mode for teams of two. All over the game's official subreddit(https://www.reddit.com/r/MistfallHunter/) are posts from players asking that the developer include a duos mode. "I need duos," Redditor broman510 titled an August 11 post(https://www.reddit.com/r/MistfallHunter/comments/1vh8nrv/ineedduos/). "In this, duos vs trios seems so hard and almost impossible; most of the time one of us is getting jumped by 2 and poked down by one." "We need duos," Matta114 posted on August 17(https://www.reddit.com/r/MistfallHunter/comments/1vqkbwt/weneedduosdothedevsreadthissubreddit/). "I don't care if the game is balanced for trios. I'll take unbalanced duos over trios with some random 3rd dude that runs the opposite direction every game." "Upvote for duos," wrote PuwudleRS in an August 8 post that generated 1.3 upvotes(https://www.reddit.com/r/MistfallHunter/comments/1vioube/upvoteforduos/). "I am addicted to this game, but I CRAVE the duo experience this game has to offer. Please devs, I am begging with my life." The common complaint from the community is that duos would allow friends more flexibility when playing together. Not everyone has two other people online at the same time and willing to play the same game. You can queue into trios, but you and your bestie will get a random third fill-in--and randoms are oftentimes unpredictable and unreliable. "Between the lack of comms from randoms, to people flaking out in fights and leaving their teammates die, to the stealing all the loot (especially if the third is a melee and they can grab the bodies first)," Redditor kennypeace wrote on August 5(https://www.reddit.com/r/MistfallHunter/comments/1vgaxpd/gameisgreatbutneedsduoqueueurgently/). "The amount of times I've died, watching someone loot a dead player, whilst their teammates are fighting for their lives, is unbearable. Three stack is miserable at the moment, and I'm not even gonna mention the bloody lag (in Europe, hope you Americans are faring better over there) that may be helped by lowering the team count." Unfortunately, the community's call may never be answered. Back in March 2026, developer Bellring Games took to X(https://x.com/MistfallHunter/status/2029389233832730625) to share that it currently has "no plans" to add a duos mode to Mistfall Hunter. Even though the studio knows it's a "highly requested feature," duos would impact the game's matchmaking efficiency. "More importantly, it would exacerbate balance issues," Bellring Games said. "It is difficult to ensure balanced gameplay for duos while also maintaining balance for trio and solo modes. For now, we are prioritizing other areas of development." Redditors have called for users to "make a suggestion for duo queues" in the Discord, and now the support-hub server is rife with users begging the team to add duos. Aside from the official statement posted on X, Bellring Games hasn't said anything else regarding a duos mode. It appears this tug-of-war will probably go on for a while. At least Mistfall Hunter is a cool experience, a fascinating amalgam of souls-like combat and extraction shooter elements to create something of an extraction brawler. It's made me a believer in extraction games(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mistfall-hunter-has-made-me-a-believer-in-extraction-games/) as a whole.

GameSpotNewsabout 20 hours ago