Nintendo fined by France for millions over broken Switch Joy-Con controllers
๐Ÿ„ Nintendo Switch, Multi-platformNews
#News#Nintendo#nintendo switch

Nintendo fined by France for millions over broken Switch Joy-Con controllers

Polygon RSS Feedโœ Patricia Hernandezโฑ 2 min read(2 months ago)

Overview & Key Takeaways

Though Nintendo has moved on to Switch 2, it is still dealing with the consequences of an old Joy-Con controller issue for the first console

Owners of the original Switch all fear one thing: stick drift. Nintendo's detachable controllers became infamous during the last generation for their tendency to break. It was a big enough deal that the Nintendo president at the time apologized for it, and the Japanese company started repairing Joy-Con for free. Years later, Nintendo is finally facing some consequences over its apparent design oversight.

Even as Nintendo moves on to a new console, pressure over the original Joy-Con has been mounting for years now. In 2022, a European consumer group alleged that Nintendo's hardware components suffered noticeable damage after only a few months of use. This damage inevitably caused many Joy-Con to break. The controllers were still usable in such cases, but affected Joy-Con units behaved as if the stick were being pushed constantly in one direction. Joy-Con drift made it difficult to continue playing games, a fact that was particularly frustrating when the controllers were considered expensive.

On Monday, Nintendo was sanctioned for โ‚ฌ35 million by France's consumer rights office over the Joy-Con issue (roughtly $46 million with current conversion rates). The Consumer Affairs office levied this fine against Nintendo after it concluded an internal that determined the video game maker "did not fairly inform consumers about the malfunctions affecting certain controllers," Le Monde reports.

The office alleges that Nintendo was aware of the hardware defect, but chose to remain silent about it for years. The company only acknowledged the issue, the office argued, after European advocacy groups raised concerns about alleged planned obsolescence and after a class-action lawsuit was filed. The lack of clarity around the issue, the office says, prevented some fans from seeking free repairs. Instead, players were more likely to "buy more controllers" after experiencing stick drift, the office said.

Nintendo denied allegations of misleading consumers, and framed the $46 million fine as "the amicable resolution of legal proceedings." In 2021, Nintendo asserted that its OLED Switch model improved its Joy-Con, but reports of stick drift persisted nonetheless.

While the number sounds massive, the fine might feel like a slap on the wrist for Nintendo. Last year alone, the Japanese company reportedly made billions in profit following the successful launch of the Switch 2. Though stick drift is an issue that can affect all controllers, its prevalence has diminished with the Switch 2's new, advanced Joy-Con designs.

A Switch 2 in tabletop mode playing Mario Kart World Related

๏ปฟThe Joy-Con 2 feel great, sound great, and work surprisingly well

Share:

More in Nintendo Switch, Multi-platform

The 7 Most Perfect Cozy Games Like Animal Crossing๐Ÿ„ Nintendo Switch, Multi-platform

The 7 Most Perfect Cozy Games Like Animal Crossing

The best games like Animal Crossing set you loose in a cozy world full where laid-back routines take center stage and your imagination matters most

PolygonNews2 days ago
Beloved Legend of Zelda Games Get New Enhanced 3DS Ports๐Ÿ„ Nintendo Switch, Multi-platform

Beloved Legend of Zelda Games Get New Enhanced 3DS Ports

These new versions of classic Zelda games like Minish Cap and A Link to the Past have additional bells and whistles and better performance

๐ŸŽฎ Zelda
PolygonNews2 days ago
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 Beta Will Do Something No Previous CoD Beta Has๐Ÿ„ Nintendo Switch, Multi-platform

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 Beta Will Do Something No Previous CoD Beta Has

Activision has announced that the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 beta will have more than just multiplayer content. The MW4 beta will also include access to the campaign mission, Entrenched, along with the upcoming Warzone mode, Resurgence Zodiac(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cod-modern-warfare-4-beta-may-include-a-new-warzone-map/). Activision will show off some of this content during the Call of Duty: Next event on August 21. As announced previously, the beta begins with an early access period August 21-25 for people who preorder, before opening up to everyone to try August 28-September 1. The early-access beta will not be available on Switch 2, as preorders for the Switch 2 version don't begin until August 28. !(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/Screenshot-2026-08-14-at-10.47.27-AM.png) The MW4 beta approaches. Activision also revealed all the maps, modes, and content in the beta. You can find the full details in GameSpot's rundown of the MW4 beta(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-4-beta-dates-revealed-heres-how-to-get-in/). Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 releases on October 23 for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and Switch 2, and preordering grants access to the campaign a week before launch(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-4-brings-back-campaign-early-access-heres-how-to-get-it/). The game coming to Switch 2 is notable since the franchise hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform since 2013's Call of Duty: Ghosts. MW4 is also the first entry since Ghosts in 2013 to skip PS4 and Xbox One. Infinity Ward is leading development on the game, which comes after back-to-back Black Ops releases, the latter of which, 2025's Black Ops 7, had the worst sales ranking in the US since 2008(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/black-ops-7-had-call-of-dutys-worst-sales-year-ranking-in-the-us-since-2008/1100-6537567/). Also noteworthy for Modern Warfare 4 is that it will not launch directly into Xbox Game Pass, as both Black Ops 6 and Black Ops 7 did.

๐ŸŽฎ Call of Duty๐ŸŽฎ Modern Warfare
GameSpotNews3 days ago