Update: It's All But Official That PlayStation's Single-Player Games Will Be Exclusive Moving Forward
🎮 PlayStation, Multi-platformNews

Update: It's All But Official That PlayStation's Single-Player Games Will Be Exclusive Moving Forward

Game Informer News RSS FeedWesley LeBlanc6 min read(3 months ago)

Overview & Key Takeaways

Game Informer News

Update, May 18:

Back in March, Bloomberg reported that then-upcoming PlayStation 5 games like Saros and Ghost of Yōtei would not be released on PC while Sony charted a return to console exclusivity. Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier, who wrote the aforementioned report, has now revealed on Bluesky that PlayStation CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a company town hall meeting this morning that all future PlayStation single-player games will, in fact, be exclusive.

Schreier writes on Bluesky, "SCOOP: PlayStation Studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company's narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg's reporting from earlier this year."

That "single-player" callout is a big distinction, as PlayStation recently launched Marathon, Bungie's excellent first-person extraction shooter, on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC, and upcoming PlayStation console-exclusives like Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls (releasing in August), which is a multiplayer title, are planned for PC too. But Uncharted and The Last of Us maker Naughty Dog's upcoming single-player sci-fi game, Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, will be a PS5 exclusive (if we're following the logic of Hulst's town hall announcement).

The original story continues below...

Original Story, March 4:

After releasing first-party games like Marvel's Spider-Man 2God of War Ragnarök, and The Last of Us Part II on PC over the past six years, PlayStation is returning to console exclusivity going forward. That's according to a new report from Bloomberg, which also says single-player games like last year's Ghost of Yōtei and the upcoming bullet-hell shooter Saros will not be released on PC.

This is part of a wider shift in release strategy, which will see PlayStation still launch multiplayer games like this week's Marathon and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls (releasing in August) on other platforms like PC and even Xbox, while single-player releases are expected to remain exclusive to PlayStation 5.

Bloomberg cites sources familiar with PlayStation's plans for this strategy, adding that reasons for the shift include PlayStation games not selling as well on PC, concerns that PC releases could hurt the console brand (and sales), and a lack of consistency in release quality and schedules. The report says PlayStation is now returning to console exclusives, which is a notable shift away from its biggest rival, Xbox, which now releases most of its titles on Xbox, PlayStation, and PC. This year's Forza Horizon 6 and Fable are launching on PS5, for example.

According to Bloomberg, there were plans to bring Ghost of Yōtei to PC, but those plans were scrapped in recent weeks alongside other planned PlayStation PC releases. That said, previously announced games like the aforementioned Marathon and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls are safe and still coming to PC, as are others like Death Stranding 2: On The Beach and Kena: Scars of Kosmora.

The report ends with notice that some executives at PlayStation may not be happy that games like God of War Ragnarök, a beloved sequel in a series that has only ever appeared on PlayStation consoles and handhelds (okay, and on mobile phones that one time), will likely be playable on an Xbox in the future, if the anticipated next-gen console from Xbox is capable of playing PC games as rumored.

Though players have seen PlayStation games come to PC over the past six years, it seems those days are over, prompting a returning question: Do you buy a PlayStation 5 to play the company's next big release, or do you skip it altogether? It seems PlayStation is betting on players to do the former.

[Source: Bloomberg]

Do you think this is the right decision for PlayStation? Let us know in the comments below!

Update, May 18:

Back in March, Bloomberg reported that then-upcoming PlayStation 5 games like Saros and Ghost of Yōtei would not be released on PC while Sony charted a return to console exclusivity. Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier, who wrote the aforementioned report, has now revealed on Bluesky that PlayStation CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a company town hall meeting this morning that all future PlayStation single-player games will, in fact, be exclusive.

Schreier writes on Bluesky, "SCOOP: PlayStation Studio business CEO Hermen Hulst told staff in a town hall Monday morning that the company's narrative single-player games will now be PlayStation exclusive, confirming Bloomberg's reporting from earlier this year."

VIDEO

That "single-player" callout is a big distinction, as PlayStation recently launched Marathon, Bungie's excellent first-person extraction shooter, on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC, and upcoming PlayStation console-exclusives like Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls (releasing in August), which is a multiplayer title, are planned for PC too. But Uncharted and The Last of Us maker Naughty Dog's upcoming single-player sci-fi game, Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, will be a PS5 exclusive (if we're following the logic of Hulst's town hall announcement).

The original story continues below...


Original Story, March 4:

After releasing first-party games like Marvel's Spider-Man 2God of War Ragnarök, and The Last of Us Part II on PC over the past six years, PlayStation is returning to console exclusivity going forward. That's according to a new report from Bloomberg, which also says single-player games like last year's Ghost of Yōtei and the upcoming bullet-hell shooter Saros will not be released on PC.

This is part of a wider shift in release strategy, which will see PlayStation still launch multiplayer games like this week's Marathon and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls (releasing in August) on other platforms like PC and even Xbox, while single-player releases are expected to remain exclusive to PlayStation 5.

VIDEO

Bloomberg cites sources familiar with PlayStation's plans for this strategy, adding that reasons for the shift include PlayStation games not selling as well on PC, concerns that PC releases could hurt the console brand (and sales), and a lack of consistency in release quality and schedules. The report says PlayStation is now returning to console exclusives, which is a notable shift away from its biggest rival, Xbox, which now releases most of its titles on Xbox, PlayStation, and PC. This year's Forza Horizon 6 and Fable are launching on PS5, for example.

According to Bloomberg, there were plans to bring Ghost of Yōtei to PC, but those plans were scrapped in recent weeks alongside other planned PlayStation PC releases. That said, previously announced games like the aforementioned Marathon and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls are safe and still coming to PC, as are others like Death Stranding 2: On The Beach and Kena: Scars of Kosmora.

The report ends with notice that some executives at PlayStation may not be happy that games like God of War Ragnarök, a beloved sequel in a series that has only ever appeared on PlayStation consoles and handhelds (okay, and on mobile phones that one time), will likely be playable on an Xbox in the future, if the anticipated next-gen console from Xbox is capable of playing PC games as rumored.

VIDEO

Though players have seen PlayStation games come to PC over the past six years, it seems those days are over, prompting a returning question: Do you buy a PlayStation 5 to play the company's next big release, or do you skip it altogether? It seems PlayStation is betting on players to do the former.

[Source: Bloomberg]


Do you think this is the right decision for PlayStation? Let us know in the comments below!

Share:

More in PlayStation, Multi-platform

GTA 6 Does Look A Bit Different In New PS5 Promo🎮 PlayStation, Multi-platform

GTA 6 Does Look A Bit Different In New PS5 Promo

Sony is flexing its video game muscle with a new "It Happens On PS5" ad campaign(https://blog.playstation.com/2026/08/17/new-it-happens-on-ps5-campaign-highlights-the-biggest-moments-of-play/), and the one-minute video features arguably the most anticipated title ever: Grand Theft Auto VI(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/grand-theft-auto-6-everything-we-know/1100-6503729/). Now, to be clear, there are only snippets of old footage for the open-world experience. But you should know by now that won't stop the internet from poring over every single little detail. For example, the X account DriftRespawn(https://x.com/playb0y4L/status/2089357629906674135) notes that letterboxing has been removed in the new PS5 promo from a clip where Jason Duval is hanging on to the back of a convertible, with Lucia driving the car. This scene first appeared in GTA 6's Trailer 2(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6s-trailer-2-looked-great-and-it-wasnt-all-cutscenes/1100-6531380/) from May 2025. The "It Happens On PS5" video is full screen instead of having black horizontal bars at the top and bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Su0IfHRms That's not all, either. The scene does seem lighter in the PS5 ad, and Lucia's face has a few minor differences. Her eyebrows are less pronounced and her hair color appears browner, though this might be because of the changed lighting in general. It's important to keep in mind that video games change as development proceeds, so these tiny differences could just be part of that process for GTA 6. We shouldn't be shocked to find out about other alterations when the GTA 6 "Extended Look" trailer hits Netflix on August 27(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6-extended-look-coming-august-27-on-netflix/), either. We're now fewer than 100 days away from GTA 6(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6-is-100-days-away-and-we-have-100-questions/), and the hype train shows no signs of slowing down.. GTA 6 won't arrive on a disc(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6-on-a-disc-doesnt-make-sense-but-could-happen-take-two-ceo-says/), and Sony is killing disc production in 2028(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-sony-is-killing-disc-based-playstation-games-and-the-implications-for-ps6-and-beyond/)--which has caused a major backlash, at least on social media. However, it doesn't seem to be impacting GTA 6 preorders(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-6-preorders-alone-could-pay-for-production-budget-expert/). Last but not least, it's not just GTA 6 in the new PS5 commercial. Marvel's Wolverine and God of War Laufey also get some of the spotlight. Meanwhile, GTA 6 is set to launch November 19. GTA 6: 241 Screenshots To Ease The Wait !OfficialCoverArtlandscape Large(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/OfficialCoverArtlandscape-Large.jpeg?w=636) !gtavi-city-tennis-frame (1)(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/gtavi-city-tennis-frame-1.jpg?w=636) !gta bikes(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/gta-bikes.webp?w=636) !4488919-ambrosia02.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1179/11799911/4488919-ambrosia02.jpg?w=636) !4488920-ambrosia03.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1179/11799911/4488920-ambrosia03.jpg?w=636) !4488921-ambrosia04.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1179/11799911/4488921-ambrosia04.jpg?w=636) !4488922-ambrosia05.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1179/11799911/4488922-ambrosia05.jpg?w=636) View Images(https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/gta-6-screenshots-images/2900-6525/)

🎮 GTA🎮 Grand Theft Auto
GameSpotNewsabout 9 hours ago
The 10 Best Classic Video Games That Need Modern Remakes🎮 PlayStation, Multi-platform

The 10 Best Classic Video Games That Need Modern Remakes

From across classic consoles and computer platforms, there are 10 great games that deserve remakes so they can reach a modern audience.

🎮 Resident Evil
PolygonNews2 days ago
Watch God Of War Laufey Star Smash The Last Of Us Golf Club Prop On Her First Day🎮 PlayStation, Multi-platform

Watch God Of War Laufey Star Smash The Last Of Us Golf Club Prop On Her First Day

Deborah Ann Woll plays Faye in the upcoming PS5 game God of War Laufey(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-laufey-gameplay-release-date-and-everything-we-know-so-far/), and she had quite a memorable first day on set. At San Diego Comic-Con recently, she shared a story about how, on her very first day, she broke a famous prop from The Last of Us due to her strength and tenacity--only she didn't know the significance at the time. And now, footage of the event has arrived. "Unbeknownst to me, this was a very famous prop that they had used on The Last of Us," she said, going on to joke that it was "some sort of sporting equipment." It was actually a golf club prop, and you probably know what that means... "They gave it to me and I was supposed to use it like an axe. And I broke it," Woll said. Game director Ariel Lawrence added, "She swung it so hard, it cracked. And it echoed throughout the volume. And we were like, 'Hot damn, let's go.'" https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/2088280064974635337 God of War: Laufey is in the works now for PS5, and it's arriving in February 2027(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/surprise-god-of-war-laufey-has-a-release-date-and-its-kratos-led-sequel-has-been-announced/). Starring alongside Woll is The Boys actor Jack Quaid, who plays a gelatinous cube named Phranque(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-laufeys-phranque-is-far-from-just-a-cube/). A new Kratos-led game(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/surprise-god-of-war-laufey-has-a-release-date-and-its-kratos-led-sequel-has-been-announced/) is coming after that, and it will pick up where Laufey left off(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kratos-next-god-of-war-game-will-pick-up-where-laufey-leaves-off/).

🎮 God of War🎮 The Last of Us
GameSpotNews3 days ago