Fortnite Won't Remove D4vd Cosmetics After Murder Charge, But You Can Get A Refund
🖥 PC, Multi-platformNews
🎮 Fortnite🎮 Celeste

Fortnite Won't Remove D4vd Cosmetics After Murder Charge, But You Can Get A Refund

GameSpot » All News RSS FeedEddie Makuch3 min read(4 months ago)

Overview & Key Takeaways

Epic Games has confirmed that refunds will be available for cosmetics related to D4vd, the singer-songwriter connected to Fortnite who is accused of killing 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. However, the cosmetics are not being removed entirely as many asked for.

On social media, the Fortnite Status account said, "We hear the concerns," adding that an update coming April 28 will allow people who bought a D4vd cosmetic to get an immediate self-service refund. You don't have to wait, though, as players who request refunds now can get one, it's just that the immediate self-service refunds won't be available until April 28.

Many online commenters are saying this doesn't go far enough and that Epic should remove the D4vd cosmetics entirely. This isn't the first serious issue with Fortnite cosmetics. Before this, Epic disabled and then modified a Peacemaker emote after fans pointed out the connections to Nazi imagery. Prior to that, Epic faced legal battles over its dance emotes.

Continue Reading at GameSpot

Epic Games has confirmed that refunds will be available for cosmetics related to D4vd, the singer-songwriter connected to Fortnite who is accused of killing 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. However, the cosmetics are not being removed entirely as many asked for.

On social media, the Fortnite Status account said, "We hear the concerns," adding that an update coming April 28 will allow people who bought a D4vd cosmetic to get an immediate self-service refund. You don't have to wait, though, as players who request refunds now can get one, it's just that the immediate self-service refunds won't be available until April 28.

Many online commenters are saying this doesn't go far enough and that Epic should remove the D4vd cosmetics entirely. This isn't the first serious issue with Fortnite cosmetics. Before this, Epic disabled and then modified a Peacemaker emote after fans pointed out the connections to Nazi imagery. Prior to that, Epic faced legal battles over its dance emotes.

D4vd--whose real name is David Burke--is accused of murdering 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. The girl's dismembered and decomposed body was found in the trunk of a car that authorities say was owned by D4vd. One of D4vd's attorneys said, "The actual evidence in this case will show that David Burke did not murder Celeste Rivas Hernandez and he was not the cause of her death."

As we reported previously, Burke began his musical career as D4vd not long after posting Fortnite montages to YouTube with his original songs in 2021. Since then, he became a rising star in the R&B scene, opening for SZA in 2023, performing at The Game Awards in 2024, and playing a set at Coachella in 2025.

"Celeste was just a child, under 14 years old, when David Burke allegedly engaged in repeated lewd and lascivious sexual relations with her," LA County District Attorney Hochman said. "But Burke's actions did not allegedly stop there. When she threatened to expose his criminal conduct and devastate his musical career, Burke allegedly murdered her, cut up her body, and stuffed her body in two bags that were placed in the front trunk of his car. There the dismembered body sat for over four months decomposing until it was found at a tow yard on Sept. 8, 2025. This horrific and gruesome murder committed by the charged sexual predator is shocking and appalling. To Celeste's loved ones, we will get the justice you seek and deserve."

Image credit: Getty Images North America

Share:

More in PC, Multi-platform

This compact Glorious mechanical keyboard is just $35🖥 PC, Multi-platform

This compact Glorious mechanical keyboard is just $35

Are you curious about custom mechanical keyboards, but don’t want to spend hundreds just to get started without being sure you’ll enjoy the hobby? You can grab the 65-percent Glorious GMMK 3 mechanical keyboard at Woot for $34.99 (usually $139.99) by entering the coupon code WOOTGAMING at checkout, and first-time Woot customers will get an &8230;

🎮 This compact Glorious mechanical keyboard
TheNewsabout 16 hours ago
Bethesda Warns Skyrim & Fallout 4 Players of Mod-breaking Update🖥 PC, Multi-platform

Bethesda Warns Skyrim & Fallout 4 Players of Mod-breaking Update

Steam players on PC will be especially affected once Bethesda releases the patches for its RPGs on August 18.

🎮 Skyrim🎮 Fallout
PolygonNewsabout 16 hours ago
PS5 Game Dev Says Sony Is Removing Its Catalog And Won’t Say Why🖥 PlayStation, PC, Multi-platform

PS5 Game Dev Says Sony Is Removing Its Catalog And Won’t Say Why

It appears Sony is preparing to remove an entire studio's library from the PlayStation Store after August 23, according to Ukrainian developer Ternox Games. The developer behind Stonks-9800(https://www.gamespot.com/games/stonks-9800-stock-market-simulator/), a stock market sim with an '80s vibe, took to X on August 16(https://x.com/Taimumari/status/2089021552012525708) to reveal the news. Ternox Games stated that, without any reason, their contract with Sony was "unilaterally terminated" and all of their games will be pulled soon. And now, Stonks-9800--which has been in Steam Early Access since July 2023 and has an "overwhelmingly positive" rating on the platform--will no longer make its way to PS5 as a result of this termination. https://twitter.com/Taimumari/status/2089021552012525708 "Sony PlayStation unilaterally terminated my PlayStation developer and publisher agreement without giving me any reason," the developer wrote. "My existing games are scheduled to be removed from the PlayStation Store after August 23." In a follow-up X post(https://x.com/Taimumari/status/2089021555342823477), Ternox Games said PlayStation Support "refuses to listen to my arguments or even respond to my emails in any way." As a result, Stonks-9800 is no longer launching on PlayStation 5, and they will no longer be able to self-publish on PlayStation. 13 games, some of which Ternox Games published, will be pulled after August 23. "I had hoped to release the PS5 version in 2027 and make a physical disc edition while that was still possible," the studio continued. "Sadly, that will not happen--but I'll do my best to create a physical edition for PC and Switch. I'm really sorry that this happened and that I failed the developers whose games I published. But there's nothing I can do about it now, unfortunately. I still have a tiny bit of hope that this decision will be reconsidered, so please share this message if you can." It's unclear why this is happening since Ternox Games' titles doesn't appear to fall under the shovelware category. However, due to Sony's "stricter guidelines" on shovelware(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonys-stricter-guidelines-on-shovelware-playstation-games-are-reportedly-targeting-more-developers/), and the company's intent to remove as many of these games as possible(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-cracks-down-on-over-1000-digital-playstation-games-from-the-same-publisher/1100-6537423/), some online have suggested that Ternox Games got caught in the crossfire. Sony has been in hot water lately, especially following the announcement that the company plans to stop producing physical PlayStation discs in January 2028(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-confirms-playstation-disc-production-will-end-in-2028/). Under just about every post and video the company puts out are comments(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-tries-to-change-the-subject-after-killing-playstation-discs/) from netizens decrying Sony's decision. It's come to the point where over 220,000 people have signed a petition(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/over-220000-people-petition-sony-not-to-kill-physical-playstation-game-discs/) urging the company to change its mind.

🎮 PS5 Game Dev Says Sony
GameSpotNewsabout 20 hours ago