Nintendo’s War On Switch Emulators Continues With 400 More GitHub Takedowns
🍄 Nintendo Switch, Mobile, Multi-platformNews
🎮 Mario#News

Nintendo’s War On Switch Emulators Continues With 400 More GitHub Takedowns

GameSpot » All News RSS FeedLevi Winslow3 min read(about 5 hours ago)

Overview & Key Takeaways

Nintendo is doing what Nintendo does: issuing DMCA takedown notices to anyone who illegally offers access to any of the company's games. That's exactly what happened earlier this week, as Nintendo wiped out over 400 Switch emulators from GitHub.

According to an August 21 TorrentFreak report, the Mario maker sent the proprietary developer platform seven DMCA takedown notices targeting Nintendo Switch emulator repositories. This includes Suyu (the Yuzu successor that became popular after Yuzu shut down in March 2024), the Android emulator Skyline, and a few lingering Yuzu forks.

In total, some 401 repositories were nuked off GitHub, with 311 of them being Suyu. Now that they're removed, if you attempt to visit the repository on GitHub, you'll receive either a 404 error or a pop-up notification that it's been taken down.

In the DMCA pop-up notification, Nintendo states that the targeted repositories "offer, link to, or otherwise provide access to Nintendo Switch emulators." The company said these emulators violate Technological Protection Measures (TPMs), which act as digital locks controlled by copyright owners to prevent copying data illegally.

"Specifically, these Nintendo Switch emulators illegally circumvent Nintendo's TPMs in order to run illegal copies of Nintendo Switch games," the notice reads. "Nintendo Switch games are encrypted using proprietary cryptographic keys (prod.keys) which protect against unauthorized access to and copying of the copyrighted games. During operation, the emulators at the reported repositories necessarily use unauthorized copies of these cryptographic keys to decrypt unauthorized copies of Nintendo Switch games, or ROMs, at or immediately before runtime without Nintendo's authorization."

With Nintendo summoning the Eye of Mario on 401 repositories earlier this week, and over 8,500 repositories in May 2024, this brings the company's repository death count to almost 9,000 on GitHub alone. And with Nintendo filing a lawsuit against Yuzu creator Tropic Haze in February 2024, which resulted in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom being pirated over one million times before it launched, the company's war on emulators continues.

Nintendo is doing what Nintendo does: issuing DMCA takedown notices to anyone who illegally offers access to any of the company’s games. That’s exactly what happened earlier this week, as Nintendo wiped out over 400 Switch emulators from GitHub.

According to an August 21 TorrentFreak report, the Mario maker sent the proprietary developer platform seven DMCA takedown notices targeting Nintendo Switch emulator repositories. This includes Suyu (the Yuzu successor that became popular after Yuzu shut down in March 2024), the Android emulator Skyline, and a few lingering Yuzu forks.

In total, some 401 repositories were nuked off GitHub, with 311 of them being Suyu. Now that they’re removed, if you attempt to visit the repository on GitHub, you’ll receive either a 404 error or a pop-up notification that it’s been taken down.

In the DMCA pop-up notification, Nintendo states that the targeted repositories “offer, link to, or otherwise provide access to Nintendo Switch emulators.” The company said these emulators violate Technological Protection Measures (TPMs), which act as digital locks controlled by copyright owners to prevent copying data illegally.

“Specifically, these Nintendo Switch emulators illegally circumvent Nintendo’s TPMs in order to run illegal copies of Nintendo Switch games,” the notice reads. “Nintendo Switch games are encrypted using proprietary cryptographic keys (prod.keys) which protect against unauthorized access to and copying of the copyrighted games. During operation, the emulators at the reported repositories necessarily use unauthorized copies of these cryptographic keys to decrypt unauthorized copies of Nintendo Switch games, or ROMs, at or immediately before runtime without Nintendo’s authorization.”

With Nintendo summoning the Eye of Mario on 401 repositories earlier this week, and over 8,500 repositories in May 2024, this brings the company’s repository death count to almost 9,000 on GitHub alone. And with Nintendo filing a lawsuit against Yuzu creator Tropic Haze in February 2024, which resulted in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom being pirated over one million times before it launched, the company’s war on emulators continues.

Share:

More in Nintendo Switch, Mobile, Multi-platform

Nintendo Is Pulling The Plug On One Of The Best Ways To Get Rare Pokemon🍄 Nintendo Switch, Mobile, Multi-platform

Nintendo Is Pulling The Plug On One Of The Best Ways To Get Rare Pokemon

One of the best systems for getting your hands on rare Pokemon is set to close down in a few months, as Pokemon Bank will stop working next year. According to Serebii(https://serebii.net/), the shutdown date has been penciled in for February 27, 2027. This will effectively end the 3DS era of Pokemon, although the writing has been on the wall for a long time. Following the closure of the 3DS eShop in March 2023(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-3ds-and-wii-u-eshop-stores-will-shut-down-march-2023/1100-6500734/), 3DS owners were no longer able to download the app. Nintendo had already launched a replacement program for Switch, iOS, and Android a few years earlier, which served as a beefier upgrade when compared to Pokemon Bank. The 3DS program still had value, as you could bring plenty of rare Pokemon from older DS--using a separate Pokemon app--Pokemon games to 3DS, and then move those Pokemon to Switch games in the series. There were a few limitations in place, but if you were looking to quickly complete a National Pokedex in recent Pokemon games, then having a 3DS and a menagerie of Pokemon in Pokemon Bank was the way to go. Games like Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are especially good, thanks to how easy it is to encounter Legendary-class Pokemon in the endgame. Beyond those two examples, this will impact on a lot of great Pokemon games from over the years. From Nintendo DS classics like Pokemon Black/White to later 3DS adventures such as Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Sun/Moon, the Pokemon in those games will remain locked within their respective cartridges. https://bsky.app/profile/serebii.bsky.social/post/3msxpo2gnjc2a It's worth noting that Pokemon Bank is also free to use, whereas Pokemon Home requires a monthly or annual subscription to house all of your pocket monsters. You're also required to have a Pokemon Home subscription to link to Pokemon Bank for when you want to transfer your pocket monsters over. While you can store up to 30 of them for free in the app, that's not nearly enough space to keep your entire collection in case you've been invested in the series for multiple generations. There are over 1,000 Pokemon to collect--with more on the way when Pokemon Winds and Waves(https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-winds-and-waves-release-date-gameplay-and-everything-we-know-so-far/1100-6538522/) launches next year--so that free box can become cramped very quickly. You can also keep Pokemon in boxes in the Switch games, but being able to only move a few at a time from them to Pokemon Home and then to a new game can be an arduous process. The Switch versions of Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen will also receive Pokemon Home functionality in October 2026, allowing you to bring Generation One Pokemon over to newer games. Of course, each game costs $20, and any Pokemon taken from them to Pokemon Home cannot be deposited back into FireRed and LeafGreen. Pokemon’s Most Disturbing Pokedex Entries !3968710-pokedex-run.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1601/16018044/3968710-pokedex-run.jpg?w=636) !4583937-unnamed(3).jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1595/15957481/4583937-unnamed(3).jpg?w=636) !4583933-unnamed(2).jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1595/15957481/4583933-unnamed(2).jpg?w=512) !4583935-unnamed(4).jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1595/15957481/4583935-unnamed(4).jpg?w=636) !4583931-unnamed.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1595/15957481/4583931-unnamed.jpg?w=636) !4583939-unnamed(5).jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1595/15957481/4583939-unnamed(5).jpg?w=636) !3967904-araquanid-1.jpg(https://www.gamespot.com/wp-content/uploads/original/1601/16018044/3967904-araquanid-1.jpg?w=636) View Images(https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/pokemons-most-disturbing-pokedex-entries/2900-4034/)

🎮 Pokemon🎮 Nintendo
GameSpotNews8 days ago
Mario Kart Tour ending, as Nintendo mobile games enter new phase🍄 Nintendo Switch, Mobile, Multi-platform

Mario Kart Tour ending, as Nintendo mobile games enter new phase

Nintendo announced Mario Kart Tour will reach end of service in Sep. 2026, but Fire Emblem Heroes lives on

🎮 Mario
PolygonNewsabout 1 month ago
You can now use the Game Boy Camera with your phone🍄 Nintendo Switch, Mobile, Multi-platform

You can now use the Game Boy Camera with your phone

The $50 GB Operator is an accessory that lets you connect, play, and authenticate Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance cartridges on PCs and other devices. Now it's getting some new functionality for the Game Boy Camera. After turning the Game Boy Camera into a charmingly awful desktop webcam two years ago, &8230;

TheNews2 months ago